CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Catastrophy keeps us together

Oh my! Well, the weeks are flying! I can´t believe this transfer is almost over (sometimes when I say that phrase i feel like a broken, and very cliché record.. everyone says it. But its true. I can´t believe it.)
Sis. Gaspar is so much fun! She talks pretty much NON-STOP. Its awesome. I love it.anyway, about my week..So one day we were looking for an address, and it was REALLY hot. We were wandering around, and then Sis. Gaspar decided to take a little rest at a bus stop. So we sat in the shade, trying to get the courage to brave the sun again. But it was interesting, we sat down, and although we knew we needed to get going, I (and I believe Sis. G as well) felt like we needed to wait. So we were sitting there, for seemingly nothing. A lady came to the bus stop to catch a bus, and we started talking to her. We sang her a hymn, and marked to visit her at her house. She was very nice and friendly. Her bus came, and she left, and we started on our way again. Well, we had trouble finding her house, and it wasnt near our other investigators, so we werent able to go on the day we marked. In the end we found her house a couple weeks later, and she was SO excited! She was like "I thought you had both left! It feels like its been years since that day at the bus stop! I felt so good when you two sang me that hymn. And that peace I felt was so wonderful! I´m so glad you came to visit! Its funny, I thought you were waiting for a bus, but then when I got onto the bus I saw that you left- that you were waiting there for nothing, and I thought, 'they must have been waiting there for me!' It wasn´t a coincedence that we met that day!" Its incredible to see how the Lord leads us. Something SO simple as just WAITING. So we´ve been teaching her and her daughter (Maria Fatima and Luciene). Maria fatima LOVED church last week, and she´s been working really hard to learn how to pray instead of ... rezar *yeah I dont know if that word even exists in english..* Its rad.We´re also teaching a really cool family, but to explain them and why they´re rad would take forever, so suffice it to say that they LOVE us. The other night we were walking home and we passed by their house, and they live on a fairly busy street. Anyway, so we were on the OTHER side of the street, and the way their house is, you cant see the road very well from inside the house. Anyway, so we´re walking past and Patricia RUNS out and with the Book of Mormon in her hand was like "sisters!! Sisters!!" We got worried that she was trying to give the book back or something (because that happens like that sometimes) and she was like "Hey remember that part you marked in this book? And you asked a question, and said the answer was in this chapter? Well, I want to answer first, so let me tell you right now k?? Then tomorrow when you visit you can tell everyone that I discovered it first!! Everyone else has already read, but I figured it out first!!" Haha! She then explained the rest of the chapter to us. It was so funny. She´s a riot. Someday remind me, and I´ll tell you more about her.
Anyway, Sis. Gaspar said something SO profound on monday:She said that she heard a quote that goes something like this:
Critisism is a very dishonest way of praising yourself.
Soak that one in.When was the last time you critisized someone? And why?Now I´m a lot more conscious of what I´m saying, and recognizing in myself pride that I want to overcome. I think pride is the hardest thing to recognize in oneself - but its a VERY dangerous trait to have.
Can you guys believe its march already? Madness.
2 corinthians 7:4 is a freaking awesome scripture. Ive been thinking a lot about happiness lately.And as everyone knows, but seldom believes:Happiness is NOT the absense of problems.I´m grateful to be learning this amazing lesson!
cool quote from Elder Bednar:"Prayer is a privilege and the souls sincere desire. We can move beyond routine and "Checklist" prayers and engage in meaningful praryer as we appropriately ask in faith AND ACT. As we patiently persevere through the trial of our faith, as we humbly acknowledge and accept 'not my will but Thine be done. .... asking in faith REQUIRES: honesty, effort, commitment and persistence"
Anyway, I´m sorry I dont know how to better capture the misson experience to share with you. But I hope that you all know that I KNOWthis gospel is true. Everyday the Lord is opening my understanding to the truths of these things. I know God loves His children. That means you and me. I´m so grateful to be here!!! Sometimes it takes over all my senses. I love my Savior Jesus Christ. I´m grateful to shout it out to everyone I meet- that He is our Savior. That He lives. That His teachings and gospel are the instructions that lead to eternal and true happiness.
Send me pictures.
kloveyoubye-sbMeg: happy bday last week! Sorry I didnt say it last week. I love you! XDAlex: Im sending you a billion hugs because I miss you like crazy.Gwen- I dreamed we hung out for hours! It was so much fun! I´m sure it will be much more fun when its real... haha I miss and love you! Give everyone in your fam a hug for me, cause Im missing them too. Including your parents! XDMarie: I got an enya CD, and I have a billion flash backs of memories of you everytime I listen to it. I miss you.Becky: I love you! muito!!

2 comments:

Becky said...

:D love the count down!

Stevesie said...

suzie blandon.

i don't even know where to begin....i love you. there it is.
it's been 8 years since i've seen you. roughly.
how long have you been on your mission? more than a year yes? there's some mormon missionaries that go to my college here and they say that women go for a shorter period of time and they go for two years. i feel like you have been gone longer though...but then again. i just feel like you've been gone longer because i haven't seen you in so long. i miss you soooo muchh.
i wonder what your life's like a lot. what's happened. i didn't realize that i could've been sending you letters and such. i'm so bad at that stuff. you know...responsibility and order. that kind of stuff. :)
apparently you will be back in 200 days...october?
it turns out that i will be going on a mission trip to east asia for a year with Campus Crusade for Christ in August. we just missed each other. what will you do when you get back to utah? maybe we would talk on the phone when you get back!
you talked about corinthians. mmmm. in my Bible study we are reading through Corinthians. The first time we started the study, we just sat and read through the ENTIRE book. it was actually really refreshing. i think that i skip around a lot when i read the Bible....but when i go straight through a book, the context becomes so much more clearer. the intent. so, i've been enjoying it. we're in chapter 7 now, so your reference to it made me go "hey." :)
you also talked about faith. "for by grace we've been saved through faith and that it's not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. not of works, so that no one can boast." eph. 2:8-9. bam. those verses hit me everytime. that it's not about what we do, but it's completely about what Christ does through us. and that's by surrendering our lives to Him in knowing that we can't serve God without Him. He's the source. Lately, more so lately....i've been seeing a lot of sin in my life, but it's been in my pursuit of God. Jesus makes it possible for me to talk to God. and the closer i get to God, the more i can see the contrast in seeing how sinful i am in comparison....but it's so beautiful seeing how gracious and merciful God is in that "while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us". that no matter what i do, His grace is eternal. that kind grace compels me to love. it's a free love...it's been comforting me a lot lately.....haha....and i guess when i say "lately" i really mean, since i came to know God.
there's a little baby bit of what's going on in my life.
i know that you are not likely to read the comments and such...maybe when you get back...either or....i love you suzie....i miss you sooooo mucccchhhh....

love,
stevie leigh shale